I was looking for a reason to play with Git more, so what better a way than to find an open source project that isn’t already on Github and convert it. I wanted to try out some of the basic commands but didn’t have a good source to work with. Using real files feels better to me than using a bunch of dummy files so I’ve pulled over the files from the Autorealm project.

What I needed to do was get the source for Autorealm, clean up the directories, and setup the initial Git repository. Autorealm is hosted on Sourceforge using the Mercurial version control system. This was my first exposeure to the system so it was nice to discover it was easy to clone the repository.

I converted the source by first downloading the Mercurial windows client and used the following command.

hg clone http://autorealm.hg.sourceforge.net:8000/hgroot/autorealm/autorealm

Autorealm is going through a rewrite from Pascal to Python. The original Pascal repository uses the following command.

hg clone http://autorealm.hg.sourceforge.net:8000/hgroot/autorealm/autorealm_delphi

Screenshot of SourceForge project download

This downloaded the two repositories to my local machine. In total it took about 10 minutes to get both. From here I cleaned up the directories to remove the old source control files. The directory structure is only a single level deep so it didn’t take long to do it by hand. When I started the two repositories together were 441 MBs; after the conversion I had only 146 MBs.

Once I had the clean directories I did the following Git commands to create the first commit.

git init
git add .
git commit -m "Initial copy from Sourceforge"

On Github I created the repositories where I would push to. Then pushed them to Github.

Screenshot of Github dashboard

git remote add github git@github.com:jjasonclark/Autorealm.git
git push github master

git remote add github git@github.com:jjasonclark/Autorealm_delphi.git
git push github master

And now I have Autorealm and Autorealm_delphi.